Since November is the month dedicated for the holiday of Thanksgiving I want to take a moment and list 30 things I am thankful for. If you've never done this I challenge you to grab your favorite drink (probably hot if you live where the temperatures are dropping), sit in a comfy chair and take 10 minutes to reflect on what you have to be thankful for. Even better, write them down! When you start feeling sorry for yourself, pull it out and read it. It will change your attitude - guaranteed!
1. Almighty God, Maker of heaven and earth.
2. My husband, who chooses to love me every day (even when I'm acting unlovable).
3. My parents, who sacrifice so much to raise 6 kids. Thank you Mom and Dad!!
4. My 3 brothers and 2 sisters. I can't imagine being an only child. Having siblings is awesome! We may have our 'moments' but we would be there for each other in a heartbeat.
5. Our 4 kids. With a blended family it wasn't always easy but the rewards of sticking through the challenges have been worth it all.
6. Our 10 grandkids. Really, is there anything better?! What joy they bring!
7. My true friends. I can not put into words how much they mean to me and how richly they bless my life.
8. 5 working senses. Seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting and touching bring such wonder and satisfaction to life. The body is a miraculous, marvelous thing!
9. Fairly good health. Aging brings on some unwanted changes but what a gift to be as healthy as I am.
10. I am a stay-at-home mom, thanks to my wonderful husband who provides for our needs. Thank you Steve!
11. Freedom of religion.
12. United States of America
13. Our military - what sacrifices they and their families make to protect us and insure the life we expect to live.
14. Modern conveniences that make every day living so much easier (and more frustrating when they don't!).
15. Four seasons. I can't imagine living where they don't exist.
16. Fall - love the changing of colors in the foliage. I only wish it lasted longer!
17. Spring - seeing the very beginning of new life! Then as things fill in and bloom - WOW!
18. Technology. Particularly the telephone, emails and Skype/Faceime hat enable me to keep in contact with loved ones when we are miles away (or even minutes away). It's hard to imagine how we survived without it!
19. Travel; car, plane, train, you name it! It's nice to be able to see and explore new places.
20. Medical technology. It is a marvel what is available to us today!
21. Ability to drive. There is such freedom in knowing you have a vehicle to hop into - to come and go as you please or to help others who have lost that freedom.
22. Smiles and laughter. One makes you look younger and the other is good medicine!
23. Wind. I enjoy hearing it blow through the trees, rustle leaves and watch it move each blade of grass.
24. Ocean. There is nothing more relaxing that watching/seeing the ocean roar!
25. Forgiveness. Where would I be in life without it (for myself as well as giving it to others)!
26. Unconditional love. Who doesn't want to be loved. . . right now, just as they are? Jesus offers that to everyone!
27. Each breath I'm given. I try not to take it for granted.
28. Babies and the new life they represent. What a joy to see them learn and grow!
29. Creativity. We all have it in us, we just need to give it an outlet.
30. Typing. I have always loved to type. It's amazing to watch words appear as you hit each individual key.
This is the day that the Lord has made;
let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24